TN Work Visas for Canadians and Mexicans

Work Visas for Canadians and Mexicans - TN Immigration Status

This particular immigration status is referred to as a TN Visa. It is part of NAFTA and is used for Canadian and Mexican professionals. The TN classification permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to come to the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level.

Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN nonimmigrants are hotel managers, social workers, dentists, registered nurses, accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers. Contact our office for the full list.

Unlike Mexican citizens, Canadian citizens are generally eligible for admission without a visa. This means that Canadians can submit their application at a port of entry. Mexican professionals must apply for the visa at a U.S. consulate.

Unlike the popular H-1B visa, there is no cap on the number of TN professionals that can be admitted into the U.S. in any given year. TN professionals (and their qualified family members) can also hold TN status for up to three years and it can be renewed.

If you are a Canadian or Mexican professional with a job offer in the United States, contact our office to see if the TN visa is a good option for you.