K-1 Fiancé Visa

The K-1 Visa allows the fiancé of a U.S. citizen to come to the United States for up to 90 days for the purpose of marrying. If marriage to the petitioning U.S. citizen occurs, we can then file for the immigrant spouse to adjust status to lawful permanent resident – green card.

The filing is done with form I-129F. But remember, only a U.S. citizen, not a permanent resident, can file for a fiancé.

Part of the filing requires proof that the couple have met, in-person, within the last two years, and a statement that they will marry within 90 days of the beneficiary’s entry into the U.S. Proof of their ongoing relationship is also helpful, such as, travel documents, email, skype records, etc.

If USCIS approves the I-129F petition, it will forward the case to that National Visa Center for further processing. The NVC will eventually send the case to the U.S. consulate that services the beneficiary’s area abroad.

When the case reaches the consulate, the beneficiary will be notified about a visa interview, and the U.S. citizen petitioner will need to provide financial documents such as tax returns, proof employment, etc., as part of the Affidavit of Support.

If the consulate issues the K-1 visa, it will be valid for a one-time use up to 6 months. And remember, once used, you must marry within 90 days of entry into the United States.