A Common I-130 Immigration Mistake

Most people who research petitioning for a family member to immigrate to the United States has read about the Form I-130. This is the form that starts the process. But the mistake that many make is not filing an I-130 for each family member who needs one.

For example, if you are a U.S. citizen and you are filing for your spouse and child who live abroad, you need an I-130 for each of them, otherwise, if you only file for your spouse, when they show up for their visa interview, only the spouse will get the visa, and not the child.

But if you are a permanent resident, then you generally only need one I-130 that includes them both. As you can see, this can get confusing. Just call our office if you have any questions.